a cube TNT cushion

Texte en français en bas de la page

My youngest son is at that age when he fears that what he likes will appear childish.
He is a big fan of Mincraft and has been asking if I could make him a minecraft quilt.

I was happy to show him the blocks Kelly Fanning offers for free on her blog. but then he hesitated. Said he wanted the dragon, but not the one shown by Kelli... I told him he could draw one on graph paper. The story stopped there.

He came back a second time, and we browsed again through the blocks. That is when he asked for a TNT cushion. "OK, I will make one as soon as I have time". He knew that to mean 'in a very long time'...

A few days before Christmas, I decided I should have the time to make him the cushion, as a Christmas surprise. I went to Kelly's blog, to download the instruction and... That is where I was hit by her comment that her son wanted a cube TNT cushion, but she had not figured it out yet.

As I started making the block for my cushion, I could not stop thinking about it. I looked at a lot of minecraft images of TNT blocks ( thank you google), and figured that the mincratft TNT cube represents 16 sticks of Dynamite. Based on that, I designed a top face for my cushion, that would represent the top of the 16 sticks.


Of course I was not able to finish the cube for Christmas. I put it away and came back to it one week ago. I completed it as a gift for his birthday.


I quilted each face using a quite thick and stiff poly batting, that I had bought before I knew anything about bathing. I filled the cube with the same batting, then I added more filling to make sure the corners were full.






I added wicks to dynamite sticks (let's go 3D all the way) but My son found it more practical without it and asked me to remove them.




For the bottom face, I could have used the same face as for the top, but I decided against it. it is just a plain 12 inch square. I represented the 16 sticks with the quilting.



It was a fun experience!

Have a nice day.

Marie

linking to wednesday wait loss

Mon plus jeune fils est à l'âge ou il craint que ce qu'il aime puisse paraître trop enfantin.
C'est un grand fan de Minecraft et il m'a demandé de lui faire un patchwork sur ce thème. J'étais contente de pouvoir lui montrer les blocs offerts par Kelly Fanning sur son blog. Quand il les a vu, avec les petits enfants qui posent sur les photos, il a hésité. I a dit qu'il voulait le dragon, mais pas celui proposé par Kelli. Je lui ai répondu qu'il pouvait me le dessiner sur un papier quadrillé. Cela s'est arrête là. 

Il est revenu plus tard avec la même demande. On a regardé les blocs a nouveau. Il s'est arrêté sur la TNT et m'a demandé un coussin TNT. "Je le ferai quand j'ai le temps". Il savait que cela voulait dire 'dans très longtemps'....


Quelque jours avant Noel, je me suis dit que j'avais le temps le lui préparer cette surprise. Je suis retournée sur le blog de Kelli, pour imprimer les instructions. C'est là que j'ai été frappée par son commentaire : son fils aurait aime qu'elle fasse un coussin cubique avec le bloc de TNT, mais elle ne l'avait pas encore fait.

Tout en cousant ma TNT, j'"tais hantée par l'idée du cube. J'ai regardé beaucoup d'images de TNT minecarft (merci google) et je me suis rendue compte que le cube représentait en fait 16 bâtons de dynamite. J'ai donc imagine une face pour le haut représentant les 16 bâtons, carrés, comme tout objet minecraft.

Bien sûr, je n'ai pas fini le cube pour noël. Je l'ai rangé et ressorti la semaine dernière, pour le lui offrir à son anniversaire.

J'ai quilté chaque face, en utilisant un molleton polyester, épais et rigide que j'avais acheté avant de connaitre les molletons. J'ai rempli le cube avec le reste du molleton et j'ai rajouté du rembourrage polyester dans les coins.





J'ai ajouté 16 mèches pour les bâtons de dynamite (autant continuer en 3D). Mais mon fils ne les trouvait pas pratiques et je les ai enlevées.





Pour le dessous, j'aurais pu utiliser le même bloc qu'au dessus, mais je me suis contentée de figurer les 16 bâtons de dynamites en quiltant 16 cercles.




C'était une expérience amusante!

Bonne journée.

Marie

Comments

  1. I don't know anything about Mine Craft, but that is a wonderful pillow. I like the way you represented the dynamite on the top. It's amazing how creative we can be to grant our children's requests.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! My daughter used to be into Minecraft but I'm sure she'd still think this was cool. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A quilt for a 5 years old boy

Octopus, finally finished!

Finished! Les Cerf volants de Maastricht