The planning of a teenager quilt

texte en français en bas de la page

I did not really have the time to sew lately, between the end of the school year, my daugther graduation, my husband's and my son's birthday and the planning of our vacation trip...

So I still have not finished the quilting on the Octopus.

But I did plan a new quilt  and buy fabric for it. A "going to university" quilt for my daughter.
No graduation quilt for her, for obvious reason : I had no time for it!

From the beginning of my "quilting adventures", I knew I wanted to make a quilt for my daughter to take with her at university. I felt that I was learning new things with each quilt and I did not want to start on this important quilt too early in my learning process. At one point, I even told her : I will make several ones, then you will choose the one you like the most".
Later on, I realized that this would not be a quilt "made for her".

I realized with the octopus how it was important to plan the quilt for a specific recipient. The various projects I had in mind where pink and blue mainly, but these were not the colours for my daughters, there were fabrics I was interested in.
I had some conversation with my daughter about colours. It was interesting because I realize this student room is her first attempt at home decoring.

Indeed, her room at home is mainly hand-me-down furniture and when we did buy a piece it was a new desk fit for advancing in school and a new teenager bed. Each was picked at separated moment and there was no attempt to redecorate the full room.

The university she picked has very few student accommodation, we had to start our room hunting early.
The first room we visited was decorated all in black and white. My daugther was very impressed.
She said the student certainly had a lot of taste. 
I had just seen a program on the impact of colours on our feelings, and I was not that impressed by the choice of colours. That is where we started.

She said that her favourite colour was orange. And she wanted help to pick a colour that would look good with it. I suggested blue, as the complementary colour. She went for teal.
We also had conversation about designs and she picked one, and the colour to go with it. She picked solid fabrics, another difference with what I would have chosen.

After quite some calculation time, to know which quantity I would need, I ordered the fabrics, which are now waiting on my cutting table.

Waiting for our come back from vacation and waiting for the Octopus finish (No I won't start any new quilt before the octopus is finished!).

I hope I can finish the octopus before going on vacation, but I won't blog about it before I am back.

It will be some time before I post something new here.


Marie



Je n'ai pas eu le temps de coudre beaucoup ces dernier temps. Entre la fin d' l'année scolaire, le diplôme de ma fille, les anniversaires de mon mari et de mon fils et la préparation de nos vacances...


Résultat : je n'ai toujours pas fini le quilting de ma Pieuvre.

Mais j'ai planifié et acheté le tissus pour un nouveau Patchwork. Un patchwork que ma fille emmènera à l'université. Je n'avais pas le temps de le lui faire comme cadeau de fin d'études!

Depuis que j'ai commencé le patchwork, je savais que je voulais en faire un que ma fille emmènerait avec elle pour l'université. Mais j'apprends tellement de mes erreurs à chaque projet que je ne voulais pas commencer celui là trop tôt. A un certain moment, je lui ai dit que j'en ferais plusieurs et qu'elle choisirait. Mais bien sûr ce n'était pas la même chose qu'en faire un exprès pour elle.

J'ai compris avec La pieuvre  qu'il était important de penser au destinataire pour créer un patchwork. Les différents projets que j'avais en tête étaient principalement roses et bleus - des couleurs qui ne correspondent pas vraiment à ma fille.
Nous avons eu de longues conversations à propos des couleurs. C'était intéressant, parce que j'ai réalisé que c'était sa première expérience de décoration.

Sa chambre à la maison a été meublée avec des meubles venant de la famille et une pièce ou l'autre achetée au besoin, un bureau plus grand, un lit d'ado. Nous n'avons jamais vraiment pensé la pièce comme un ensemble.


L'université qu'elle a choisie a peu de résidences pour étudiants, nous avons dû commencer très tôt à chercher une chambre chez des propriétaires privés.
La première chambre que nous avons visitée était décorée en noir et blanc. Ma fille était très impressionnée. Elle trouvait que l'étudiante avait beaucoup de goût. Je venais de voir une vidé sur l'influence des couleurs sur l'humeur et je n'étais pas de cet avis. C'est de là qu'on est partie pour prévoir son patchwork.


Elle m'a dit que sa couleur préférée était le orange et elle se demandait quelle couleur  elle pouvait lui assortir. J'ai suggéré le bleu, la couleur complémentaire. Elle a choisi turquoise.
Je lui ait montré certains modèles, elle en a choisi un. Elle a aussi choisi des tissus unis, une autre différence avec ce que j'aurais pris.


Après pas mal de calculs, j'ai commandé les tissus qui attendent maintenant sur ma table de coupe.


 
Ils attendront que je rentre de vacances et que j'ai fini la pieuvre (non, je ne commencerai aucun nouveau projet tant que je ne l'ai pas fini!).


J'espère pouvoir finir la pieuvre avant de partir avant de partir en vacances, mais je ne posterai rien avant mon retour.


Il se passera un certain temps avant que je poste a nouveau ici.

Marie


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A quilt for a 5 years old boy

Octopus, finally finished!

Finished! Les Cerf volants de Maastricht