Squirrel!

Texte en français en bas de la page

I have to say, I did not really understand the noise about squirrels in the quilty/blogging world.
Of course I never stop having new ideas, planning new quilts, buying fabrics for them even if I have five other projects on my waiting list "as soon as I finish the current one"... Of course I have started projects when another "must do" was not finished yet...

But this fall I have been hit by a real Dreami, as described by Sandra at mmm! quilts defines it.
I am a little late blogging about it, but last month, when I wanted to write this post, I realized I had just missed Sandra's link up... so I did not write the post...

Dreami as in "Drop everything and make it". I had just finished the flimsy of my Five Oceans quilt. (another quilt I still have to blog about... This post is coming soon). I was a bit tired of all these nice blues and neutral fabrics (I was working on that quilt since May). I had been matching soo many seams... And now it was time to make the sandwich - not my favourite task. Then I saw a tutorial (in french) for a wonky log cabin. Cleverly shown with a bundle of the wonderful Rhapsody by Makover. A fabric that I was already drooling about, as I had seen it in another on line shop. I did not think twice and ordered the fabric. The bundle and a bit more (additional fabric from the line), as I wanted to make a bigger quilt than in the tutorial.

The fabric arrived very fast. That is the moment I usually put it aside for "when the current project is finished". But it is also the moment I realized that the backing I had pieced for Five Ocean was too short. So I made a test block of wonky log cabin... And a second and... I could not stop. It was so fun to work with colourful fabric, and not care about matching seams! Not planning the fabrics used, but just make it as I went! Actually, I am usually so careful in curring fabric right, that cutting uneven strips was the most difficult part of the project for me.

We had a week out of town planned beginning of November, and I thought this would allow me to stop. I would come back home and simply go back to the five ocean quilt. I still had to baste and quilt this giant, and to have it ready to give on Christmas eve! 

But when I came back, I was working on the golden squirrel again before I realized it. I made 36 blocks before I managed to put it away and go back to my "obligations" (Actually, that is the size of the tutorial!).
Now it is in a box, waiting for renewed attention. Still, it is associated in my mind to the exhilarating feeling of having this project decide of my time for me.





Have a nice day.

Marie

linking with
Dreami 
Wednesday wait loss
UFO busting


Je dois avouer que je ne comprenais pas vraiment la notion d'"écureuil" souvent entendue dans les blogs de patchwork anglophones. Bien sûr, j'ai tout le temps de nouvelles idées, bien sûr je planifie sans arrêt de nouveaux patchwork, et j'achète des tissus sur de vagues idées, même si j'ai cinq autre projets sur ma liste d'attente... Bien sûr j'ai commencé de nouveaux projets sans attendre que le précédent soit terminé!

Mais cette automne, j'ai vraiment été prise par un vrai "Dreami" , comme décrit par Sandra à mmm! quilts. "Laisse tout tomber et fais-le"

J'avais juste terminé le top fr mon projet Cinq Océans (Je dois encore écrire un article à son sujet... à suivre).
J'étais un peu fatiguée de tous ces bleus et ces beiges (j'y travaillais depuis mai). J'avais du faire correspondre tant de coutures... et il était temps de faire le sandwich, ce qui n'est pas ce que je préfère. Et puis je suis tombée sur ce tuto - Associé à un lot de coupons de tissus Rhapsody, Une ligne de tissue à la quelle je rêvais déjà pour l'avoir vue dans une autre boutique ne ligne! Je n'y a ps réfléchi plus longtemps et j'ai commandé le lot, plus d'autre tissus de la même ligne parce que je voulais le faire plus grand que dans le tuto.

Ma commande est arrivée très rapidement. Juste au moment où je me suis rendue compte que le dos que j'avais piécé pour "cinq océans" était trop juste. Alors j'ai fait un bloc test... et un deuxième... et je ne pouvais plus m'arrêter! C'était tellement libérateur de travailler avec ces tissus colorés, sans s'inquiéter de faire correspondre les coutures! Sans planifier les harmonies de couleurs, juste en prenant la bande de tissus qui me plaisait à ce moment! En fait, je dois d'habitude faire tellement attention pour couper droit, que couper des bandes que ne l'étaient pas était ce que j'ai trouvé de plus difficile dans ce projet.

J'avais une semaine de vacances à l'étranger prévue, et j'ai pensé que cette coupure me permettrait de revenir à mon autre projet. Je "devais" faire le sandwich et quilter l'énorme "cinq océans" que je voulais offrir la veille de Noël, mais je n'arrivais pas à me détacher de cet autre projet.

Mais quand je suis rentrée, je me suis retrouvée à travailler sur mon écureuil à nouveau, sans vraiment le choisir. J'ai fait 36 blocs (la taille prévue dans le tuto!) avant de pouvoir m'en défaire et revenir à mes "obligations". Il est maintenant dans une boite, en attendant que j'ai l'occasion de m'y remettre. Il est toujours associé pour moi à cette sensation grisante de me laisser guider par le tissus.

Bonne journée.

Marie

Comments

  1. Oh, my, you have the perfect example of a squirrel here—especially knowing you had a Christmas gift you “should” have been working on. I can see why you couldn’t quit—those colors were just right for a November project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's a squirrel but what a lovely one! No wonder you felt it's pull. It's often when we have something we have to do that we get pulled in another direction. I'm sure though that you still got your Christmas present done in time, and now you have a lovely project to look forward to! Thanks for sharing your quilt on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A quilt for a 5 years old boy

Octopus, finally finished!

Finished! Les Cerf volants de Maastricht